Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'm 95% sure that I think in bullet points.

Things I miss about America:
- family and friends... duh.
- my bed
- REAL Mexican food
- ketchup
- ranch dressing
- the dollar
- seat protectors in public bathrooms
- 8.5 x 11 printer paper
- drinking fountains
- driving
- hockey
- my pets
- American units of measurement
- iced tea
- Hershey's chocolate that tastes like it's supposed to
- Pandora
- Hulu
- Kix
- familiarity
- being involved in theatre
- Disney movies
- Costco
- Target
- the California atmosphere
- drivers on the right side of the road
- the overarching lack of pretension
- having a cell phone that wasn't originally manufactured in 2003
- Goldfish crackers
- Top Ramen
- artificially orange mac n' cheese, straight from the box
- In N Out
- Pacific Standard Time
- understanding cultural references
- American slang/vocabulary
- flip flop weather


Things I'm going to miss about Oxford:
EVERYTHING.


But more specifically...
- my cell group
- St. Aldate's church
- British accents
- the Oxford fashion
- walking
- 222 and 224 Abingdon
- the Bodleian
- the covered market
- knowing that there's always somewhere new to explore within walking distance
- being intellectually challenged
- reading voraciously
- having time
- not operating at a break neck pace
- going to pubs
- G&Ds ice cream
- tripping on the cobble stone paths everyday
- multitudes of cafes, all with excellent tea and coffee
- Tesco
- the overwhelming amount of history and antiquity
- the architecture
- my skylight
- having silent, gesticulative conversations across kitchens with whoever is in 224
- the evil swans and geese
- Big Issues
- the fact that London is only a £1 bus ride away
- Bangers and Mash
- Digestives
£2 meal deals
- ridiculous house parties well into the wee hours, regardless of the day of the week
- copious alone time
- being constantly pushed outside of my comfort zone
- how much more soft spoken the general populace is
- meeting new people
- Olive's sandwiches
- the constant flow of events/speakers/lectures/plays/concerts/etc.
- the culture of conversation
- condoned/encouraged jaywalking
- the ease and opportunity of travel


That's all I've got for now. I know there's more belonging in each category, as well as sizable lists of things I don't/won't miss about each place. But there it is. I think it's funny that a large portion of the things I miss from America are food items. I shall feast upon my return.


Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment