Saturday, January 8, 2011

I made it!

I'm heeeeeeerrrrrrree!! :D And it is glorious. Oxford is so incredibly beautiful and quaint, it's unreal. I seriously feel as if I'm walking on the set of a movie or a fairytale when I walk the streets. What I've seen of the architecture thus far is stunning, and it's rainy and gloomy, which is the kind of weather I live for, AND there are British accents everywhere! So it's safe to say that I'm in like with Oxford. I don't want to rush this relationship, but I have high hopes that I'll be head over heels in no time at all. :)

I flew out of SFO on Wednesday, with my mom, Eric, and Aaron to see me off. I was hoping to sit next to someone normal on my flight, and maybe even a young, good looking fella. Well I was sitting next to a fella... youngish... not normal. He was probably in his late 20s, average height, slightly overweight, wearing a blue and white gingham shirt, dress pants, and trying to appear occupied on his Blackberry. As soon as I sat down and neither of us opted to say hello, I figured that we were going to sit in silence awkwardly the entire time. I was almost right. He was one of those people that stared at me when he thought I couldn't see him... and thought I was looking at him when I was looking out the window (He had the window seat, so I had to look past him to see the takeoff and landing). After the takeoff was complete, I began to lose interest in the ever shrinking ground below, so I decided to return to my book I had begun during the complete awkwardness before we took off (I'm rereading Pride & Prejudice. I thought it was apropos.). Right when I turn to my book, he decides to ask me a question. "Were you staying in San Francisco?" ..."Uh, no. I'm from the Central Valley." ... *awkward silence*. That was the grand total of our interaction on the flight. Other items of interest: he was reading a book written by George W. Bush and ordered a Vodka Cranberry and drank it through the stirrer like it was a straw.

We landed in Minneapolis for a layover. As far as I could tell, only one other person was on both of my flights with me. I know this because as I was looking for my connection, I felt like this he was following me. And then about halfway there he passed me, and we were the only ones in an empty hallway to the international flights and he turned around awkwardly to glance at me. Apparently I had become the follower. But I digress. My flight to Heathrow-London was on one of the big international planes with two aisles. I of course had the middle seat in the middle section. Figures. But God, with His hilarious sense of humor decided to put me between two fairly attractive males that were both close to me in age. I was definitely chuckling on the inside. The fellow to my left was a slight, friendly 18 year old British guy named Matt on his way back home. He was an excellent person to sit next to: he initiated the conversation and talked periodically, but didn't feel the need to chat my ear off the entire time. Although at one point he felt the need to explain that he wasn't usually this scruffy looking... that he usually went clean shaven. And then he told me that he was considering getting a tattoo, and flashed his bicep at me to describe it. XD Ohh goodness. The fellow to my right was a tall, strawberry blonde haired and bearded, and moderately grumpy guy named Eric, from Arizona. Pretty much the only interaction I had with him was when neither of us could figure out what to put on the UK Landing Cards we were required to fill out. I lent him a pen. He was thankful.

After the long and somewhat restless 8-9ish hour flight from Minneapolis to Heathrow, I waited in line for about 45 minutes to get through the UK Border. The person that checked my paperwork and passport was a bit sarcastic about me being a theatre major. Whatever. At least I don't have to look at passports all day. :P It was extremely rainy and overcast when we landed. :D Exciting! I had to take a bus to a different terminal to be able to catch my bus to Oxford, and the drive from terminal to terminal was quite the introduction to British driving. The double decker bus would go way too fast and stop way too sharply for the inclement weather and slick roads... but we didn't hit anything. My bus ride to Oxford was much more civilized. Another girl from APU, Karly, was on the same bus as me, so it was nice to see a familiar face. And the bus had Wi-Fi! Craziness! When I wasn't frantically responding to fb messages and emails, I stared out the window at the English countryside. It looked just like how I imagined it would... just how England should look. :) Muted grassy pastures with bare trees, and aged cottages every so often. It was beautiful.

Once I got off at the final bus stop in Oxford (called Gloucester Green, but pronounced Glawster Green), Karly and I had to walk through an alley and across a square to employ a taxi. As soon as the taxi driver heard us talk, he knew exactly what program we were a part of and where we needed to go (he had obviously been making this route for other Americans all day). He said, "Wait. Let me guess. You need to go to Hertford College and then wait and have me take you to your lodgings." Haha, he was a friendly, wiry old man that was very helpful with our luggage, and not too crazy of a driver. He even called me "pet" when I left. When I arrived at my flat, it didn't look like much on the outside, and I swung open the door to find a very narrow but deep and tall residence. The kitchen is well stocked with dishes, utenstils, etc. There is a washer and dryer. Everyone else had already moved in, but nobody was home. So I checked the bottom bedrooms and saw the were already occupied. So I walked up a flight of stairs. Occupied. Another flight. Occupied. Two more flights. I got the last open room on the top floor. Four. Flights. Of. Stairs. I'm going to be so in shape. Here are some pictures I took of my room after I got all unpacked.

This is the view from the door:
 My bed:
Bedside table/Dresser:
Closet/Armoire thingy:
 Desk and Sink (I have my own sink in my room!):
 Sink area:
 Window at the foot of my bed (it has a lovely view onto the street):
 Skylight! :D

I like it. :) I'm living with not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, but 7, count em, 7 other people. 5 boys and 3 girls total. It's my first foray into co-ed housing, and I'm actually pretty excited about it. Barring cleanliness differences, I look forward to the laid back nature that boys bring with them. Because housing drama is for squares. There are 3 toilets and 2 showers. Should be interesting. But thus far I really like all of my flat mates. They're really chill. The only other APU student that I'm living with is Andrew Keahey, and it's nice to have a familiar face around. I share the top floor with Jason and John. Jason is a friendly guy that is an Urban Studies major, which is basically anything and everything, as per the description given to me from his own mouth. John is a half Japanese, more soft spoken but just as likeable guy. Good neighbors. Next we have Ryan and Dan. Ryan is the kind of guy that won't really start a conversation with you, but is extremely responsive and friendly if you talk to him. Dan is TALL. 6'7" worth of man. Haha, poor guy is hanging off his bed. Then of course there's Andrew. :D And finally we have Jessica and Sheila, my other estrogen representations in the flat. Jessica is a friendly, redheaded girl from USC, and Sheila is a just as friendly, Indian girl who goes to school in St. Louis. All in all, I'm really satisfied with my living situation thus far.

Well, it's currently 12:45am and I'm still jet-lagged, so I think that's it for now. I know. It's a lot. My entries will most likely not continue to be this lengthy once my tutorials kick in... I can almost guarantee it. I will leave you with this: if you wish to contact me while I am in Oxford, you most certainly can! :D

Send me letters and packages and photos of you and things to decorate my walls!
Deanna Hudgens
222 Abingdon Road
Oxford
OX1 4SP
UK

Or call my cell phone! (Be sure to use an international calling card)
011 44 7913 489118

Or Skype me!
username: dancinfool370

Please DO NOT call or text my regular cell phone number. I left it in the States.
Also, please remember that I am 8 hours ahead of you. So do the math before you call me, so that you don't wake me up. Please.

I miss you all already and wish that you could share this experience with me.

Grace and Peace.

4 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm so excited for you, beautiful. I just added you on Skype <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate all of the details! :D I expect to see lots more pictures! Nice flat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU LIVE IN MY OLD FLAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy beyond words...P.S my room was #4 :D

    - Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so boring. ;) but i'm glad that you are having a good time. i missed you terribly this weekend. made fried egg sandwhiches and watched hercules all by myself. : / not near as much fun as i'd hoped. kisses from this side of the big blue wet thing. xoxox
    be good, but please get into some (in hindsight funny and not at all dangerous) non-life threatening trouble over there?? preferrably involving a scruffy, foreign boy? make me proud. ;)
    -b

    ReplyDelete